My baby started high school this month. Obviously she’s not a baby, but she’s MY baby.
My parents were and are great parents but never gave me advice. They more or less threatened my life and told me to be good and graduate. Here’s my advice I gave leading up to her first day of high school.
- Be open-minded. There are a ton of opportunities in high school. Some that you may not be accustomed to. Strongly consider them as the may help mold the way to your success.
- Stay focused. There are distractions. Friends and boys. I am willing to be open-minded to you hanging out and being a teenager as long as your grades are air tight and you are being responsible.
- Be respectful and kind. There’s nothing more of a disappointment than a rude ass child. I mean that on the most nicest way. 😁
- Teach your siblings. They are right behind you and will need guidance.
- Have fun. This life is too short to have regerts. #no regerts.
- Find yourself. Figure out what you want to do in life. Make a plan and follow it. Who cares it’s 13.3 days into high school? Girl, trust me.
- Apply for scholarships. It is never too early. Again trust me.
- Motivate. Yourself and others. There is no mountain too high ain’t no valley low….
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Another person’s insight may be useful.
- Remind yourself that I’m not a stupid bitch. My rules are only to protect my precious daughter and first born. Understand this is a new journey for both of us and we will get through it together.
Remember, you are my best friend and maybe one day I can be yours. I was blessed with a loving, respectful, responsible daughter who is going places. And I’m so honored to be your mother.